Jewish Newspapers in Glasgow
The earliest known Jewish newspaper in Glasgow was published c1901-1903 by Lithuanian Jewish immigrant printer and educationalist, Hillel Mayer Langman. SJAC has only one issue of this Yiddish paper, The Jewish Times (Vol 3 No. 17, 1903).
Around 1900, the Golombok family arrived in Glasgow from Birzai, Lithuania and brothers Israel and Zevi soon set up their own printing business in the Gorbals. Their first foray into Jewish newspaper publishing seems to have been the Yiddish-language Glasgow Jewish Evening Times, priced at a halfpenny and launched in August 1914.
The paper was: ‘Printed and published by Brothers Golombok,’ at 119 Govan (later Ballater) Street (which became The City Press). Next came the Glasgow Jewish Weekly Times, then the monthly Die Glasgow Yiddishe Shtimme (Jewish Voice) in 1921-1922.
Hillel Mayer Langman
Dr Ezra Golombok
SJAC has some copies of the early Yiddish papers:
- Glasgow Jewish Evening Times (nos.3-4), 1914
- Glasgow Jewish Weekly Times (no 8), 1914
- Jewish Voice: (nos 1-13) 1921-1922.
By 1928, less people in Glasgow were able to read Yiddish and Israel and Zevi Golombok published the Jewish Echo in English from 1928 onwards. Zevi was the first editor, succeeded in 1950 by his son, Dr Ezra Golombok.
The Jewish Echo was published weekly 1928-1992. When it ceased publication, Dr Ezra Golombok gifted a complete set of the back issues to SJAC, as well as the photographic library (1960s-1990s).
As part of the project to establish The Scottish Holocaust-era Study Centre, the first 1,200 issues (over 15,000 pages), covering 1928-1950, have been digitised and can be searched by key words in the Study Centre.
SJAC also has copies of some issues of the short-lived Jewish Leader from the 1930s.
First issue of the Jewish Echo.
The Jewish Leader
SJAC has an incomplete run of the Jewish Times, 1964-1967, and its successor, Israel Today & Jewish Times, 1967-72.
Since 1992, the Jewish Telegraph has published a Glasgow edition and SJAC has a full set of these issues.